Tonight we reflected on Ephesians 4:25-5:1. Here we read:
Tonight Lynell reminded us that although we are different in many ways, as Christians we have something very important in common. We are followers of Jesus, we all try to obey what Jesus told us to do, and to be a part of God’s family. We are part of the same family, because we have the same father, God, and the same brother, Jesus.
But it’s not always easy to be part of a family. Sometimes families can be hard to get along with. Sometimes family members fight, or don’t say nice things to each other. Sometimes our differences can make it hard for us to get along with eachother. That is why we read from Ephesians 4:25-5:1. Here we see that God has provided some ideas about how we can treat eachother so that we can get along even when we don’t always do things the same.
1. Speak the truth– don’t tell lies.
2. You can be angry at someone, or about something, but don’t let your feelings lead you to do sinful things. Your feelings are your feelings, but you still have to be in charge of your actions.
3. Don’t steal from others.
4. Watch what you say to others.
5. Don’t make God sad by what you say or do.
6. Don’t use mean or hateful words.
7. Be willing to forgive others– we all make mistakes.
8. Do what God does. You can learn from God how to act by watching what he does. God is love. God loves us all and gave his life for us.
Tonight we ended our service with some quiet time. It was an opportunity for all of us to talk to God and make a promise to God. We, all in our own ways, asked God to help us follow the Family Rules and identified an area that we want to work on.
Wouldn’t it be great if as a faith family we could follow these rules. It certainly would be a family that everyone would want to belong to!